1.07.2014

You + I + Thank You

The chalkboard technique is so trendy right now.  You can find it anywhere.  I like the look of it and wanted to try it out with some of my new (and old) stamps.


My first thought was to make a card for Operation Write Home.  I think the sentiment above is perfect for OWH, but I'm not sure the button is flat enough. Perhaps I will remove it and put a candy dot or red heart in its place.


What I really need right now for myself is Thank You cards, so I tweaked the center a bit and came up with the card above.   Don't you love a design that will work with almost any sentiment?


To decorate the inside I took the sliver of paper I had cut off from the Hardwood stamped layer on the front of the card and I adhered it to the inside.   I like to have my insides flow with my outsides.

PP177

As I said, this technique is very trendy right now.  :)  It's even the current challenge at The Paper Players.   If you want to see how other people are using this trend, click on the image above and it should take you to their challenge.


If you are wondering "how" to do your own "chalkboard" it couldn't be easier.   Start with a piece of black cardstock, cut it into the shape/size you want it.  Add "chalk" and "chalk dust" with one of the following:
Embossing Powder bag rubbed over the paper
White Craft Ink
White Staz-On Ink
White Embossing Powder
Chalk
White Pencil

See what I mean?  It's all up to you!   For my card I stamped the image from Great Sport in White Craft Ink, then added a layer of white embossing powder over it and heat set it.   Then I took a sponge, dipped it in my craft ink pad and gently rubbed it onto my cardstock to make it look like a used chalkboard.   This was cut out using the Labels Framelits and layered onto a piece of Crumb Cake cardstock that had been stamped with my new Hardwood stamp in White Craft Ink.  It kind-of reminded me of a wood framed chalkboard.  :)

Creative Blessings,
Heather North

SU Supplies Used:
Stamps: Great Sport, Hardwood, Perfect Pennants, A Round Array
Ink: White Craft Ink, Real Red, Basic Black
Cardstcock: Basic Black, Crumb Cake, Real Red, Whisper White
Misc: Silver Baker's Twine, Labels Framelits, Various Punches, Brights Buttons (Retired)


Hardwood
Hardwood

Perfect Pennants
Perfect Pennants
Labels Collection Framelits Dies
Labels Framelits

Silver Baker's Twine
Silver Baker's Twine

8 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

These are awesome, Heather! Love the color combo you used. :)

Nance Leedy said...

GREAT cards, Heather. Love how the white of the hardwood stamp coordinates with the chalkboard. Great job combining stamp sets too! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players!

Lisa F said...

Great options with one card. You are so creative and inspiring. Love it!

Anonymous said...

These are terrific. You always make beautiful cards and your explanations make it sound so simple! I'd love to see your workspace and how you organize all those papers. I'll look back on your blog and see if you've talked about that.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! I LOVE these cards-- what a fab design using those center frame panels! LOOOOOVE the woodgrain with the chalkboard effect!! LOVE x100000:)


Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving some love <3 You made my day! Hugs <3

None None said...

This is gorgeous!!! Both are stunning,but I am in love with your thank you card. I love the dimension you created with the layerss

Heather North said...

Thank you everyone! Do you have any idea how happy your comments make me? :) I read every one of them even if I can't reply to all of them. Blessings on each of you!

TheFireFlyStudio67 said...

Love this card! Thanks so much for sharing