1.25.2014

Play Day in the Hobby Room

Having some fun with some new goodies this weekend.  :)   I thought it might be fun to make a Clean & Simple (CAS) card and then step it up with a more embellished card using similar supplies.


It all started with the Leafy Branch die from Savvy Stamps.  Isn't it beautiful cut out of Brushed Bronze metal from Add A Little Dazzle?  I paired that with the Lots to Say stamp set, also from Reverse Confetti.  It was heat embossed with Early Espresso before being dry embossed with my dots embossing folder.




While my Big Shot was getting a workout I decided to try out my brand new Love Notes die from Reverse Confetti.   I was SUPER impressed with all the Confetti Cuts dies.  (Yes, I bought more than one. ;)  They cut smoothly through metal as well as glimmer paper and they released easily from the dies.


My stepped up card has just a few more details that are easy to see.  The seem binding ribbon was adhered with score tape in a scrunchy band across the card.


Each of the rhinestones was colored with Copic R29.  It was so easy to color these gems, just like everyone has been telling me.

I'm entering lots of challenges with these cards.  :)  It should be pretty easy to tell how I was inspired.


The Curtain Call challenge ended this morning, but it is what inspired the love message on the first card.  I had planned to make a thank you card before I saw this challenge last night.  When I saw it I got excited because I knew I could use my new goodies from Reverse Confetti.

Curtain Call
CAS isn't always easy for me, but I am learning with each challenge I do and each lesson Maureen Merritt gives us at StampNation.  CAS*ology has a refresher course on CAS design for their challenge.  Contrast was pretty easy to accomplish with all the white space and saturated colors of the first card.  It truly was a light bulb moment for me that contrast plays a big role in CAS design.

CAS*ology
My personal challenge to create a Christmas card a week led me back to Merry Monday challenge.  It was a color challenge, but one I found easy to accomplish.  :)  Usually I struggle with color challenges, but not this time.  I think this color combo is great for rustic Christmas cards.  You should check out the design team and other submissions for this challenge.  They are lovely.

MM#92


Last, but certainly not least is the challenge that started all this.  I ordered the die and knew I wanted to use it with Brushed Bronze metal sheets.  Lucky me that it was a perfect fit for the current Dazzling Divas challenge.  :)

Dazzling Diva Challenge #9
DD#9
Even though I don't have red nor white metal sheets, I think you can see how this picture inspired the colors on my cards.



Can you believe I was inspired by 4 different challenges and none of them are sketch challenges?  

Creative Blessings,
Heather North

Love You Card
Stamps: Lots to Say
Paper: Whisper White, Red Glimmer Paper
Accessories:  Brushed Bronze Metal Sheet (Add A Little Dazzle), Dots Embossing Folder, Early Espresso Embossing Powder, Leafy Branch #10092 (Savvy Stamps), Love Notes (Reverse Confetti)

Warm Wishes Card
Stamps: EnFrancais (SU), Seasonal Flourish (Waltzing Mouse Stamps)
Paper: Early Espresso, Very Vanilla
Accessories: Basic Rhinestones, Brushed Bronze Metal Sheet (Add A Little Dazzle), Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding, Copic R29, Early Espresso Embossing Powder, Leafy Branch #10092 (Savvy Stamps)


14 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

Perfect for the dazzling Divas and Merry Monday!! Gorgeous cards!! Love your designs!!! Maybe tomorrow I will get crafty, I have spent all night organizing like a mad woman!!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!

Kristie Goulet said...

WOW! Heather awesome cards here. Love your CAS one and also the stepped up one. Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!!!

Notes by Nina said...

Beautiful cards Heather. Thank you for playing along with us for Merry Monday.

Karen Davis said...

The metal branch looks fabulous with the scrunched ribbon Heather. A lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

Bonnie said...

How pretty, Heather! CAS is my favorite style and you have done it proud! Love the red berries on the Christmas card! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

Karren said...

These are such beautiful cards, Heather. I love the richness of the metal and the Copic-colored berries are the perfect finishing touch. Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

Sue said...

When I saw your card in Merry Monday Challenge, I had to take a closer look. So glad I did. What a beautiful card!

Ardyth said...

I always think that good design can be used in many ways and is very versatile - you've demonstrated that very clearly here! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week!

Darnell said...

Congratulations on the HM honor from MM, Heather! I love all the renditions of your beautiful card!! Hugs, Darnell

Gillian R said...

Such a beautiful striking card. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology

Anonymous said...

I love both those cards. I think CAS would sort of describe my approach to quilting, stamping, crazy quilting and all art forms I enjoy. I hope I can remember all the things I want to buy that you've used, once I can start acquiring things. =) I want that branch! I didn't know you could color rhinestones!

Robin K. said...

You definitely had fun playing with your new goodies- both cards are evidence of that:). I absolutely love the combination of elements in your second card- the scrunchy ribbon is a fabulous detail!

Catherine Pooler said...

I think I NEED that branch! Amazing cut with the metal sheets!

Heather North said...

Thank you for all the lovely comments. I'm honored to be chosen as one of the honorable mentions at Merry Monday. :) You made my week.

Catherine, you MUST get this branch die. It's even better in person.