9.01.2013

Sew Sunday ~ ALYOF

Yes, two posts in one day and my second sewing post for the weekend!  It's been a busy couple of weeks and this weekend is all about getting creative.  I've missed my time in my craft & sewing room.  While I haven't been able to get much sewing time, I have been planning my next few projects.  Over the summer I have been "collecting" fabric in preparation for the crisp fall sewing days.  Tonight I will be linking up with ALYOF with Sew BitterSweet Designs and Fiber of All Sorts.


September

For the past few days I've been trying to decide what to work on next.  My son helped me decide when he asked me to work on his quilt.  The last quilts I made were 6 years ago when we moved in.  My boys were 7 and 11 at the time.  They are teenagers now.  I think it's time for more masculine quilts.  Here is the stash of fabric the guys helped me pick out for their 2 quilts.



I spotted the cross fabric at our first guild meeting at Ruby Street Quiltworks.  When I showed the pattern to the boys they both wanted me to make them a quilt using it.   They went with me to pick out fabric for their quilts and seemed to be having fun.  It surprised me that they were actually excited about fabric!  Below was my original fabric palette for Tyler's quilt. He chose the crosses and the marble grey and I pulled in the other choices to go with it, asking his approval before making my purchase.


After searching the web, my books and magazines for pattern ideas I changed the selection slightly and cut my 5" strips.


I took away the solid black and gray then added in the cream and dotted stripe from Michael's color palette.  All these colors and patterns seem to "play well with each other".  I may bring in the brown for the borders so I laid it out with my cut strips.  After the top is underway I'll be able to tell which solid will frame this quilt.  Playing with color and choosing fabrics is one of my favorite parts of quilting.

To sum up, my goal for September is to piece the top for Tyler's quilt.  If I get ambitious I might piece together Michael's quilt too.   His pattern was chosen weeks ago, but now I can't find the book it was in.  I hope it wasn't one I checked out and returned to the library.  :) 

To be honest I have several things I would like to complete in September.  It's traditionally been my most productive sewing month as I transition from Summer to Autumn.  There are a couple of bags, my star shadow quilt and 2 more quilts for the boys to be cut and sewn.  What are your sewing goals for September?
Creative Blessings,
Heather North



No comments: