1.26.2020

Sew Sunday - Scrap Snap QAL January Blocks

Monday I shared with you several of the QAL (Quilt-A-Long) I am taking part in.  The first one I dove into was the Scrap Snap QAL, mostly because it is a way to tame my growing collection of scraps.  I decided to start with aqua color family because I seem to have "collected" more of this color than any other.  Probably because it is my current favorite. 
  

This QAL has us cutting fabric into specific sizes.  I cut each of the sizes needed in the quantity needed, and cut the rest into similar sizes for future projects.  (Read Monday's post for more on that.)


From there I began assembling the blocks.  If you are following along with this challenge, you may be able to spot the blocks I switched up and mixed up.  I could take them apart, but decided to leave them in.  When all is said and done, you won't be able to tell block A was switched with block B in block 3.  They are all 6.5" so that makes it easy to move them around and make them work.


Before assembling my blocks I took a picture of them in black and white.  I wasn't too fussy about the placement of each piece, but I did move a few pieces around to give more variety in the color value.  Specifically the block on the top right.  There was too much dark together, so I switched those around with another block and began sewing away.

Here is how all 10 blocks turned out.  Some are flipped around and they are no longer in order, but that's ok.  I still haven't decided how I am going to design the final pattern.  Here are a few of my favorite ideas from Quilts for the Making blog. 


Photo credit: Kari V.


Photo credit: Kari V.

If you want to see more ideas on how to layout blocks, clicky for the original post from Kari V. at Quilts for the Making.

This project was so much fun and so quick to put the first row of blocks together, that I have already started on the purple row.  :) Even though I haven't figured out how I'll be arranging the colors, I know I'm going to LOVE it!!! I think it is because I am using my own scraps from fabric I already loved.  I never thought I liked scrappy quilts before, but I may have discovered a new way to love them... use colors and patterns I love in a monochromatic way. 




No comments: