1.23.2020

Inspiration Everywhere

One of the difficult things about my creative slump was that I felt like I lost all inspiration to create.  When that started coming back, it brought with it joy.  Suddenly I was finding inspiration in everything from napkins, to cookies to plaques on the wall of the local diner.  Oh, how I have missed that!  Remember that watercolor napkin at the ladies luncheon a couple of days ago?


It motivated me to work on my watercolor and not worry about what the end result would be.  I watched youtube videos and used one (or more) of the kits from Let's Make Art.  Someone asked me in the comments (yes, I enjoy reading your comments) how many subscription boxes I've received.  I did it for about 6 months and then took a few months off.  You can stop, start and hold at any time. My February kit is on its way as we speak though.  I'm excited to watercolor again next month.  I find that I like quilting in the cold months and painting or making cards in the warm months.  The former is for days when I want to stand in front of a hot iron or under a warm quilt the latter is for quick sessions when the weather is warm and I have things to do outside.



Here is one of those practice pages.  I believe I shared it here already, but not the backstory.  I didn't worry about making this a piece of art.  Watercoloring is fairly new to me and I didn't have a ton of skills.  I needed to PRACTICE.  It didn't have to be perfect and it didn't even have to turn into a painting or a card or anything I would keep.  Sometimes (ok, like all the time) I need reminders that there is a process to getting good at something and that process involves practice, mistakes, more practice and more mistakes before getting to a result I don't hate.  Often it takes me taking a step back and a day or two (or 30) before coming back and liking what I have created.  One thing I have learned is it is ok if it doesn't turn out.  It's ok if it goes in the trash instead of on the blog.  I am getting back to the place that creating is fun and not a job and that is bringing me joy!


The cookie inspired me to pull out this stamp set and my Zig Clean Color Real Brush markers. I believe the Altenew stamp I used here has been discontinued, but I found Everlasting Happiness (also from Altenew) which might even be a little prettier than the one I have and it may or may not have ended up in my cart while I was searching for you.  ;)  I still haven't made these into a card, but I love where these 2 pieces are going.  My initial thought is to stamp or die cut a simple sentiment and leave it a fairly clean and simple card.  What would you do with this image?



This second piece was my attempt at no line watercoloring.  I like it, but I miss the stark outlines.  hmmm... Maybe I will restamp over it... or perhaps I'll leave it.  No finished card for today, but I think you can see where the inspiration of a cookie on a napkin inspired me.  How does it inspire you?  Where do you find creative inspiration?


No comments: