1.29.2020

Prayer Cards with Inktense Pencils

On Monday I shared a cupcake card using Inktense pencils, so I thought I would share a few other things I created with these wonderful ink pencils.  In case you missed that post, when you color they go on like pencils, but when you add water they turn into smooth ink.  Once the "ink" dries, it is permanent.


Last Fall the ladies of our church had a bible study on hospitality.  (Just Open the Door by Jen Schmidt) At every session we have index cards out that the ladies can write their prayer requests or needs on.  They can share the cards with and have us pray for her during the week or she can keep the card as a prayer reminder.  The nice thing about these prayer cards is we can write each others prayer requests on them and pray for them long after the study ends.  I keep mine in my study book during the study sessions and often keep them in bible afterwards as a reminder to pray or of God's answer to those prayers. 

 The church had index cards on the table, but I decided to get a little creative with my "prayer cards" and make them "pretty".   I cut down some Very Vanilla cardstock into 3x5" panels and stamped some images from a retired Stampin' Up sale-a-bration set that fit the season.  If you wanted to make something similar I would suggest an outline image with script stamped over it. I LOVE the look of these stamps and that is why I have kept them so long.  ;) 


It was so relaxing to sit and do some simple coloring.  For the pears I used yellow, green and a touch of orange-y red.  The leaves were done in red, orange and yellow.  I used a simple paint brush with very little water to spread and blend the ink.  The technique for using a "thirsty" brush like this is to dip the brush in water and then dab the brush onto a paper towel where the bristols meet the handle.  I learned this from Sarah Cray at Let's Make Art.  You can use more water with Inktense, but not with the vanilla cardstock.


I think took the leftover pieces from cutting up those index cards and stamped more of the pears to turn them into cards I could send to the ladies to encourage them or if someone was sick.


The pears were die cut and layered with crumb cake cardtock and popped up with foam tape.  I tied a matching ribbon from Stampin' UP which I am sure is also retired.  Twine or burlap would also look great with these cards. 

Sidenote- I used inktense pencils in my study handbook.  Jen had outline style drawings on several pages that were just begging me to color them in.  Others did the same using crayon, colored pencils, markers or even pens.  I enjoyed taking a little more time with this study by coloring on the pages. It has inspired me to plunge into faith art journaling in my bible.  I'm still scared to color on the pages, but I got a bible specifically for this purpose. 

This was a such a fun thing to do.  One of the ladies in my study was a new Christian and asked me to write out a scripture verse each week on her prayer cards so she could reflect on it all week long.  That blessed me so much!  Our new bible study started last week, and I think this time around I am going to add washi tape to each of the index cards.  Or, perhaps I will pull out some heart stamps.  The study is on Joseph, so I could look for a stamp to recreate his "coat of many colors".  Let me know if you want to see what I come up with.



No comments: