8.17.2013

Sew Saturday ~ Stitch in the Ditch

My goal for this month is to work on my practice quilt and finish it.  Specifically I want to practice  my Free Motion Quilting. (FMQ)  I'm just a beginner and have a looooooooong way to go.  In late May I took my first class on FMQ on your home machine.  In June I had a bad case of Vertigo and didn't do any FMQ until last week.  That was too long of a break for a beginner.  When I tried to FMQ it was a disaster.  I keep reminding myself that practice will make me better, but looking at the practice work is painful and I wonder if I will ever be able to FMQ.  I really want to be able to quilt my own quilts, so I will keep on trying. 


After playing around on a few practice sandwhiches I also reminded myself that the pink "quilt" is just a practice quilt of uneven scrap pieces.  It is just a tool for me to use, so I got to work on it.  I decided to stitch in the ditch on all those straight lines.  It frames each of the four blocks nicely and it gave me a bit of a confidence boost.


Next I decided to use a stencil for the two white blocks.  One of the things I learned in my FMQ class is that if using a stencil gives me more confidence in my FMQ then it is ok.


I was watching a video on YouTube and saw a lady using some special glue dots to adhere her stencil, temporarily, to her quilt top.  Brilliant idea.  I don't know exactly what she used, but I just went to my stamping room and pulled out my Stampin' UP! Mini Glue Dots.  They worked great!   It's fun to find multiple uses for the things I already own. :)

Can you see the little glue dot that my pencil is pointing to?  The pencil is new to me too.  I'm experimenting a lot on this quilt to see what works best for me.  I have another practice quilt that I showed last week for experimenting with too.  It seems smart to just jump in and try new things on quilts that I plan to use for the dogs.  They won't care if my stitches are even or my thread is too loose on the back.  ;)

It's fun to see this little piece coming together.  It already feels like a quilt.  One thing I will tell you though, I am ready to get back to my quilt tops.  It is way more fun for me to sew those than work on the actual quilting.

ALYOF

I'm linking up to the mid-month check in on A Lovely Year of Finishes.  Thanks for the accountability, Melissa.  I will be working on my two white blocks this weekend and deciding on what to do with my pink blocks so that I can get this quilt done.

Creative Blessings,
Heather North



No comments: