4.17.2016

Glittery Ribbon of Hope | Calling All Sistahs

It's the 17th of the month, and you know what that means.  It is time for your Calling All Sistahs reminder to do your monthly self-exams and schedule your yearly mammograms.  This is my birthday month, so I get to make that oh-so-joyous appointment for my yearly "girly" check-up.   I usually schedule my yearly visit to the ob/gyn on my birthday month.  Last year I went early due to some bleeding issues. I was still 39 at the time, and we were more concerned with my "issues" than my breasts.  (I cannot believe I am telling y'all this, but I have learned that we women NEED to start the discussion and help each other to get diagnosed and treated as early as possible.  


Because  I turned 40 since I last saw my ob/gyn, this will be my first time having a mammogram.  Why am I telling you this?  In part it is to make this topic less of a taboo and get the conversation started.  But, an even bigger reason is accountability. You see, I would love to stick my head in the sand and pretend that cancer cannot touch me, but the truth is.... it can.  There is a greater truth though that I am clinging to.  Early detection gives a better chance of survival and HOPE is stronger than FEAR!   So, Monday morning I am calling my doctor and making that appointment.  I was going to give myself until my birthday at the very end of the month, but I am doing it this week in honor of my friends Michele and Colleen.  Both have breast cancer milestones this week and both are doing FABULOUS, because they detected their cancers early and acted quickly!  You have my permission to ask me if I made my appointments next month on the 17th, if I don't post results before then!

Speaking of Michele, she is sharing the results of her 6 month check-up on the CAS-ual Fridays Stamps blog today.  She will also be explaining a little more about the Calling All Sistahs blog hop.  If you missed my post last weekend, I was asked to be the Calling All Sistahs Blog Hop Coordinator and I said YES!  Before you head on over there I have a card and quick video for you. 




To watch this video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KIcLr_Fo4Q 



Now go on over to CAS-ual Fridays to read Michele's announcement and join us next month in a meaningful blog hop.


Stamps: Frankly (CAS-ual Fridays Stamps)
Ink: Cotton Candy (Colorbox - My Favorite Things) 003, 025, 026, 022 (Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers)
Paper: Black Glimmer Paper, Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper (Stampin' Up!) Craft a Board (Essentials by Ellen) Solar White (Neenah)
Accesories: Double Note Fri-Die, Hope Fri-Die, Ruffled Ribbon Fri-Die (CAS-ual Fridays Stamps)

1 comment:

Maureen Merritt said...

Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your story! I had my first mammo last year and I'm due next month. I need to get that scheduled. Good luck, it's not as awful as people make it out to be!!