11.11.2012

Scrapbook Sunday ~ Squaring Off

Gotta love squares if you are a fan of 12x12, 8x8 or 6x6 scrapbooks.  For the longest time I think this is what tripped me up in card making.  Cards are typically rectangles and the scrapbooks I had been creating for over a decade were square.  Any preschool graduate can probably tell you the difference between rectangles and squares.  Even though squares and rectangles are very similar those 2 extra long sides can really throw you off your creative game if you aren't used to them. 

Today's layouts are an ode to squares, with some rectangles thrown into the mix.  They really can play well together.  

This first layout uses some background paper I found while cleaning out my "stash".  It has 4 large squares in the center of the 12x12 page.  You could easily re-create this page with your own DSP.  Cut four 5 1/2" squares in coordiating paper and adhere them to the middle of your page. 


Stampin' Trimmer
NEW Stampin' Trimmer


You could cut your pictures into squares, but I chose to leave them as rectangles, cutting them down to 3 1/2" x 5 1/4", with the exception of a couple of pictures that I did cut into squares.  I really mixed it up on this page.  I then embraced the "white space", or in this case the colored background.



By picking and choosing which pictures to make sqaures and which to make rectangles I was able to fit LOTS of pictures on these two pages.  Look at your pictures before you trim them.  Which ones could be cut to bring your focal point to the center?  What elements do you want included in the picture?  (ie house numbers, birds, flowers, etc.)  How will your new size flow with the other sizes of photos on your page? 


One of my favorite uses of squares is to punch out some DSP and add a title.  Yes, you can use a trimmer to cut squares, but the SU square punch is SO much easier to use.  Originally I was going to mat these squares with a dark cardstock punched out using the postage square punch, but it looked good with just the 1" square, so I left it.  Either would be cute, but I was smack in the middle of  "get 'er done" mode when I made this page.



1" Square Punch - by Stampin' Up!
1" Square Punch


Postage Stamp Punch - by Stampin' Up!
Postage Stamp Punch


Creative Blessings,
Heather North


3 comments:

Nathalia O. said...

Great layouts. I really like the look of the four big centered squares.

Deb Van Caster said...

What an epiphany! Squares vs. Rectangles. I wonder if that's my hang up too. Love the new trimmer and what you've done with it!

Smiles, Laurie said...

These look great! I love the double column in the middle of the pages of photo squares!