4.04.2015

Sew Saturday ~ April Goals

April is one of the busiest months of the year for us.  Mostly because baseball season is in full swing and the yard needs lots of attention after being left alone all winter.  For that reason I am choosing an easy "must do" goal for April's A Lovely Year of Finishes, with Shanna & Melissa.



A Lovely Year of Finishes
April Goals

My goal is to attach the binding and add a label to my Arts Walk challenge quilt for the South Sound Modern Quilt Guild.  Arts Walk 2015 is taking place later this month in Olympia, WA and our guild will have their challenge quilts proudly on display at Canvas Works.  The rules of the challenge were to use a the challenge fabric and solids only.  We were able to choose between 3 or 4 colorways.  

Flying Geese

This quilt did not turn out at all the way I planned it.  I ran out of the challenge fabric early, but didn't make it back up to Canvas Works to buy more before they sold out.  So, I had to change around my design to make it work with what I had on hand.  (a fat quarter)  I also ran into difficulties finding the turquoise color in solid.  I ended up finding some fat quarters of a seafoam green that worked.  Yes, fat quarters to sew the entire frame border of this quilt.  

After the top was assembled I got my hands on more challenge fabric, so I am using it for the binding.  Hopefully I will like the quilt more once the binding is on.  If not, I hope that person I give it to will like it.  


My favorite part is hand tacking the binding.  :)

In other news, the top is completed on my broken herringbone quilt, and there is a picture to share!  I have no idea "how" I'm going to quilt this.  I was really hoping some of our guild members would have theirs quilted before our meeting this week so I could get some ideas.  Sadly nobody did.  I added a 2" or 2 1/2" border around the entire quilt and plan to cut it down to 1" to match the size of the sashing, but I wanted a little bit of play room.   Violet Craft told us to be careful with the quilting of these quilts because of all the bias in the design.  


My secondary goal this month is to sew a couple of pillowcases for a charity project our guild is working on.  I found some cute fabric scraps from PJs and quilts I had sewn for my boys when they were little.  I'm so happy to be giving them a new home with a child in need.  What is your April goal?

1 comment:

SuperMomNoCape said...

Your flying geese quilt is so pretty, as is the herringbone one.

I had to smile when I read that your favorite part of quilting is hand stitching the binding to the back... that's my favorite part too! I recently had a quilt that I wasn't sure I was liking until I got the binding done and then I loved it.

For April, I'm going to be working on my Sampler Table Runner that needs to be sandwiched, hand-basted, quilted and bound.