7.07.2018

Sew Saturday Seahawks

It's been ages since I did a Sew Saturday post.  Honestly, my sewing room has been collecting dust for the better part of a year.  Partly because I've been busy with my Rodan + Fields business, but mostly because I just haven't been up to sewing.  The last 2 quilts I made were for family members that had passed away.  It was hard being in the room.  My sewing room has always been my happy place, so I closed the doors and waited until I could go in and be happy again.


Thankfully, I am back in there and having a blast sewing again.  I remember now why I love creating with fabric.  It's magical seeing one thing turn into something new.  What got me back in the room?  Our car club has a fundraiser coming up to raise money for scholarships.  I decided to make a quilt for them to raffle off or sell in an auction.  Since I live in Seahawks territory, I figured a Seahawks quilt would bring in the most money for the kids.



I started with a bunch of fat quarters and cut them into 2.5" x 5" strips. Next I laid them out in a zipper pattern, similar to the one in THIS tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company.  


I couldn't just follow the tutorial.  I had to make a few "alterations".   Instead of stacking the blocks on top of each other, I wanted them to look as though they were floating, so I added a 1.5" strip under each of the blocks.  



That was the only change I planned to make, but then I saw all of the extra 2.5" squares on my design wall and came up with the idea of added a strip to the bottom and top.  Here is how my wall looks now.  I like it, but I plan on adding a row or two of white 2.5" strips to separate them from the 5" strips. 


 

Now I am considering adding in a thin strip of green fabric too.  We will see what happens as I grow  closer to finishing this quilt top.  For now I will leave you with Thursday night's sunset from our balcony.  







No comments: