2.08.2014

Sew Saturday ~ Thread Nest

Yesterday I promised you a trendy gold card.  Here it is.  Hopefully it was worth the wait.  I took my card my sewing machine room for my Sew Saturday post.


Right about now my quilting followers are shaking their heads or laughing.  When it comes to sewing, thread nests are a BAD thing.  There aren't many things that are more frustrating.  However, when it comes to cardmaking it can be fun to add a tangled mess of threads to your cards.


The sketch I used for my card comes from Tuesday Morning Sketches.  I moved the circle a bit to the left because I thought it looked better with the placement of my sentiment below than having it centered.

Tuesday Morning Sketches#235
My cardbase was embossed with gold hearts, but it was really stark, so I layered a piece of vellum over the card base and used my sewing machine to sew a 1/4" straight stitch around the perimeter.  I really should sew on my cards more often!

CAS*ology#81

I'm entering this card in two more challenges.  CAS*ology is the reason I chose the sentiment for the focal part of this card.  It's also why I chose to use vellum.


CS177

The Muse at CAS(E) Study totally inspired the colors and feel of my card.  All that dazzling gold with splashes of black against a canvas of white.  Oh yes, I was inspired.


Now for my Sewing followers, here is what is going on in my sewing room today.  Tomorrow I'll be taking a class on color theory and contrast from the fabulous Katie Pedersen of Sew Katie Did.  Our homework is to bring (36) 6" squares of contrasting values of fabric.  I'm pulling out my fabrics and cutting them so I can be ready to go if the snow doesn't keep me home tomorrow.

What are your crafty plans this weekend?

Creative Blessings,
Heather North

Card Supplies
Stamps: A Dozen Thoughts (SU), Perfect Pennants (SU)
Ink: Versamark, Black Staz-On
Paper: Black Textured (Bazzill), Gold (Retired CM), Vellum Cardstock, Whisper White,
Accessories:Heart Rainfall Die (SSS), Misc. Thread, 1 3/4" Circle Punch, Gold Embossing Powder (SU)




10 comments:

wienerhoneymooners said...

Love the thread details, the luminescent quality and the gold is divine!!!

Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Helen J said...

The "thread nest" is brilliant, a lovely card.

Jessi Fogan said...

This is gorgeous, Heather! Love the embossing & sewing :) THanks so much for coming to play at Tuesday Morning Sketches with us this week!

Tracey McNeely said...

The gold foil is fabulous. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology!

Laura Davis said...

Lovely!
Laura

Kristie Goulet said...

Very pretty card, Heather!

Debbie said...

What a fun card!! The thread nest is a neat effect!!
Thanks for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!

Melissa said...

Love your thread nest! It was so much fun sewing with you yesterday!

Joyce said...

So pretty. Love your thread nest and all that glamorous gold. Thanks for playing at CASology.

Susangail Powell said...

It was definitely worth the wait Heather! It's a lovely card!