10.09.2015

Pink Friday for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

All this month I am going pink on Fridays to raise awareness for Breast Cancer and to support my sistahs facing this disease.  My hope is that not one more sister, aunt, cousin, mother, grandmother, neighbor or friend lose their life.  Early detection really is key.  One of my goals this month is to start the conversation and dispel some myths and fears that might keep us from getting checked out.


Myth:  If you have a family history of breast cancer you are more likely to get cancer yourself.

FACT: True & False  If you have a family history it can increase your risk slightly, but statistically only 10% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have a family history of it.  That means 90% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no immediate family history.

Myth: If you have the BRCA 1 or 2 gene you are guaranteed to get cancer.

FACT: False!  It means you have a slightly increased risk of getting the deadly disease, but it is not a one way ticket.  It is just another risk factor.  This is one of many reasons it is so important to talk to your doctor about your personal set of circumstances.  


Want to learn more?  Here is one of my sources for this information.  http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-cancer-myths


I'm not a doctor, I'm just a blogger and fellow sister trying to wade my way through the information that is out there.  Please seek medical advice if you have any questions.  I know this is a sensitive topic that is difficult to talk about, but it just might save your life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Pink Friday card comes from a retired Stampin' Up! stamp set that I can't part with until I find a comparable one to replace it.  This card was made with a friend in mind who is currently battling breast cancer.  She will beat this thing, but I want to encourage her along the way.


When I was looking for inspiration for this week's "Go Pink" feature card I came across another great sketch from CAS(E) this sketch.  I moved the entire image up to the top instead of keeping everything centered, but I think it still works. Click on the image below to see all the wonderful design team and fellow blogger samples.  

CTS#144

If I can leave you with a final thought, it is this; do not let fear keep you from seeking answers.  Early detection is key and finding out the truth is empowering, if frightening.  Thank you for being a part of my journey this month.

Supply List:
Stamps: Strength & Hope (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Sahara Sand (Stampin' Up!) Soft Blossom (Hero Arts) Versamark
Paper: Whisper White (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Blueprints 20 Dies (My Favorite Things) 1" Square & Postage Punches (Stampin' Up!) Metallic Platinum Sparkle Embossing Glitter (WOW!) Little Bits dies (Neat & Tangled for Stamp of Approval Holiday Magic Collection)

2 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

Love ya, Sistah!!! Beautiful card!!!

Leigh Penner said...

Beautiful! Wonderful take on the sketch!