10.05.2014

Sew Sunday ~ ALYOF

October is a great month for quilting.  As the weather gets cold it is nice to stay warm under a soft quilt.   My ALYOF goal for this month is to finish  my Michael Miller MQG challenge quilt.  All that is left is the binding.  Last Wednesday I chose my fabric thanks to help from a few of my guild mates.  I was planning on using yellow or the lighter orange, but that is not what I ended up with.


Orange is not a color I am drawn to, but it was the perfect choice for this fabric.  As you can see I also had to buy some orange thread because I own none. Today I will cut the binding into strips, sew them together and machine sew it to the front of my quilt.  For the rest of the month I will hand sew the binding to the back of my quilt.  I'm so happy it is finally cool enough in the mornings and evenings to snuggle under a quilt and sew.


I've also put together the 3rd block for my Holiday Chic quilt and will be working on appliquing the pieces after I finish the binding.  While my husband watches TV at night I have to keep my hands busy.  :)

If our guild puts up the instructions for a block of the month I will hopefully get that done by the end of the month.  We meet the first Wednesday of the month, so I have a little play room there.  Speaking of the South Sound Modern Quilt Guild, at our last meeting we did a pincushion exchange.  Here is the pincushion I made.


I filled the mason jar with some bright buttons from Stampin' UP! and an empty spool from Pretty Pink Posh.  The stretch ribbon also came from my Stampin' UP! stash.  I love it when my two hobbies collide and make something wonderful! This was so easy to make that I am thinking about doing a video tutorial for you.  Let me know if that is something you would be interested in.  ;)

My last 2 goals are to quilt the Christmas Jelly Roll Race quilt and to decide which quilt to piece next.  Perhaps I should get back to work on my star quilt I abandoned last year.  Or, I could finish off the rest of the Jelly Roll and piece the pink/teal/purple strips.   Then again, I did get some super cute Christmas themed charm packs that are begging to be made into a quilt before the holidays are upon us.   It's funny how big I dream at the beginning of the month and how I struggle to just finish the first thing on my sewing list at the end.

ALYoF2014
October Goals

3 comments:

Sherry said...

love your pin cushion! I would love a tutorial on how to make it!!

Unknown said...

I too would love to see a tutorial on making the pincushion. It's adorable!

Anonymous said...

Some great goals. Good luck with the month of October. I, too, have no orange thread, though a little orange batik. And here orange is a major fashion statement because it's a UT color! LOL It would be great to see how you did the pincushion. I'd also love to see the one you got in return. Or did you show that already and I missed it?