Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Playing With Aqua

Yesterday I had a bit of fun playing with color in my stamp room.  I was completely inspired by the CAS(E) study Muse, Donna Mikasa .  Even though I didn't get my post up in time to enter the challenge I want to give credit where credit is due.


Obviously I loved everything about her card from the cool aqua and white colors to the sponging and
"paint" splatter.  When I feel that way it's often easiest for me to make my first card CASEing almost exactly.


To make it my own I added some layers and a splash of color with some sequins I got from Pretty Pink Posh and my local craft store.  The ink colors I used were Pool Party and Bermuda.  After I got my copying out of my system I decided to play with the concept and switch it up just a tad while incorporating the Dynamic Duo Challenge to use aqua and pink.


My first thought when I saw the color challenge was to make a pretty Valentines card, and I still might, but when I looked up at my stamps Oh, Hello from Stampin' UP! just jumped out at me, so I grabbed it and come up with this card.


It's softer than the Thank You card, but I still like it.  I added more sequins from Pretty Pink Posh on my card and had the stars shooting across the card.  I love the added bit of sparkle that sequins add to a card, but I'm still not sure how to place them.  Time for me to look closer at what other people are doing and CASE away until I find my own style.


What I love about this card is the Chevron background I created with my stamps and that the greeting is recessed instead of popped up.

The best part of all this is that I have two more very useful and easy to mail cards!  :)  Thank you CAS(E) study and Dynamic Duos challenge for helping me build my stash.

Creative Blessings,
Heather North

P.S. The winners of the Birthday Bash giveaway for StampNation's 3rd birthday have been announced.  Are you one of them?  Check out Catherine Pooler's blog to see if you won one of the amazing prizes!

Supplies:

Card 1
Stamps: Another Thank You (Stampin' UP!), Gorgeous Grunge (SU)
Ink: Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, Versmark
Accessories: Valentine Mix Sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Baker's Twine, Misc. Sequins (craft store), White Embossing Powder

Card 2
Stamps: Oh, Hello (SU), Gorgeous Grunge (SU)
Ink: Pool Party
Accessories: Sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), Oval Framelits, White Embossing Powder


7 comments:

Kristie Goulet said...

I LOVE both of these, Heather! The Thank you one is my fave! Great job using the Muse as your inspiration!

Robin K. said...

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog post! I'm glad you left them as that led me to your blog which I am now following:). I love your work! I love both of today's card but am partial to the second one- I love recessing images/ words. P.S. I struggle with sequin placement too- takes me forever to figure out where I want to put them!

Annette Elliott said...

Very nicely done! Casing is A-Okay in my book. Using someone else's creation is a great way to get those creative juices flowing and you made 2 great cards because of it. :) Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos!

Sarah Fleming said...

Ooh, very pretty! Love both cards. Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos!

desertskyquilts said...

Both are wonderful cards. I have TONS of sequins from Cartwright's for my crazy quilting. Crossover!

Kim In Texas said...

These are gorgeous! I'm adding the thank you stamp set to my wish list. The sequines are the perfect embellishment.

Susangail Powell said...

Heather, these are both fantastic!